The more layers get peeled back on the murder of Kathryn Steinle in San Francisco the more I think I am living in a different time.
– The US Bureau of Prisons, which was about to release Juan Lopez-Sanchez the end of a 46 month sentence instead transferred him to the San Francisco Sheriff so that he could stand trial on a 20 year old drug case for which the evidence, apparently, no longer exists. No evidence, no trial so the sheriff kicked the guy loose and didn’t tell anyone under the sanctuary city policy. Never mind that the sheriff’s department warrant unit asked the BoP specifically to transfer him to San Francisco in what has been deemed by some to be an “unusual request”. Oh, and then held him in jail for two and a half weeks after the case was dismissed while their in house legal team decided what to do with him.
– Immigration and Customs Enforcement, a division of the Department of Homeland Security, said they wanted the guy, but since neither BoP or the San Francisco Sheriff ever told them to come get him, what could they do?
– Sheriff, and convicted domestic abuser, Ross Mirkirimi says he was just following policy and that the feds should have issued an arrest warrant sooner if they actually wanted the guy back to deport for the seventh time.
– The current mayor says the sheriff should have used discretion that he has under the policy, and that the policy isn’t supposed to be a welcome mat for convicted. violent felons. Needless to say, it’s already devolved to bickering between the two officials. What a surprise.
– The former mayor / current Lt. Governor who issued the policy in 2007 says it’s entirely the fault of Congress since that body hasn’t passed “comprehensive immigration reform”…. which in case you didn’t know it is code speak for “amnesty and open borders”.
– The federal agency which employs the law enforcement agent whose gun was stolen and apparently used by the suspect to shoot and kill Ms. Steinle isn’t saying much. Which is probably just as well since anything they say at this point is only going to make them look more stupid and out of touch than their own recent history has shown them to be.
So why is it that I feel like I am reading a newspaper from a different time and place, with stories about a different Democrat controlled machine’s perfidy, sloth and corruption?